Tuesday, July 23, 2013
Monday, July 22, 2013
Being in the field of SEO for the past 5 years, first as copywriter and then as a SEO practitioner myself, I came to realize a few important things about this rather interesting and intriguing field. With regular updates being done by Google in order to reduce the spam and ensuring that the search results do not lose meaning for the avid online searches on its platform, the life of webmasters has not been easy. With every update there are lessons to be learnt but this corrective reaction might either be too late or too little, resulting in loss of search engine visibility for a number of businesses.
However, I have found that the SEO practitioners need not go out of the way to gain prominence in SERPs. The problem arises when the clients want to beat the competitors in the least possible time. They lack patience. Their expectations far exceed what is achievable in a just and correct manner. To an extent even the SEO service providers are also to blame for promising them results in no time, without caring much about what it would mean for the clients brand name or value.
As per my experience, the progress of SEO shall be slow and steady and it shall be carried out naturally, not compulsively. Here are some of the points which I can summarize:
1. Have a blog on your site and keep updating it.
2. Join social and professional networks and keep marketing content that is relevant for that community or resource. Engagement is important.
3. Create web pages thoughtfully. Most of the time, the web pages created are either not
4. Produce content as per targeted community or web resource. Content creation shall be in such a way that the readers are able to appreciate it. Make use of images, videos, slides, pdfs, graphic design and do not over-rely on the text. After the creation of content, it shall be utilized in suitable resources.
5. While third party resources such as article directories are of relevance, I would like to place my bets on your own blog rather than these directories.
6. None of the off-page activities are untouchable provided these are done in a correct and natural way. Treat it like a race in which the tortoise wins slowly and steadily. Both the SEO service providers and the clients are required to exercise patience if the gains of SEO are to be obtained.
7. Carry out diverse activities in one time. Simultaneous approach in doing different activities is better than the sequential one.
8. Think before you act. While there are many experts who would tell which activities are gaining prominence over the other after every update of Google, you have to use your reasoning (the sixth sense) to know the relevance as well as the long term implications of these activities. You would find that most of these activities are not conducive to be undertaken despite being recommended by the experts.